Direct students’ attention to the illustration on the book cover. Guide students to infer what the book will be about. Connect the title of the book to the illustration. This will help them to try to read the words during the guided reading of the book. The lesson provides the questions you can ask students and a model of what you can say to make a prediction with evidence from the title and illustration.
Make Predictions About the Story
- Discuss the title and pictures.
- What is the setting of the story? (It looks like it is in a forest.)
- Who and where are the characters? (Sarita and the elephant bird.) What do you see in the picture that connects to the title? (I see Sarita thinking about riding a horse, picking apples.)
- What kind of punctuation is at the end of the sentence? (The title has a question mark (?).)
Model Think-Aloud to Describe the Cover Illustrations
I see a girl. I think her name is Sarita because the title says, What Can Sarita Do? and there are pictures of Sarita doing things with a giant bird. It looks like Sarita and the big bird are in the forest. Maybe this book will be about what they like to do together in the forest.
Model Inferences that Can be Made from Pictures and Words
Academic Language Frames:
- I think ________________ so, I predict _______________.
- I predict ______________because I see ______________.
(Example: I think Sarita is thinking about things she likes to do with her pal, the elephant bird, so I predict the book will be about what they do together.)
Oral Language Level 1:
Ask students to point to parts of the illustration and make connections between the illustration and the words in the title. Point to Sarita. Point to the words, point to the elephant bird. Point to Sarita feeding the horse. Point to Sarita up in the tree.
Oral Language Level 2:
I read the title _______________, so I think ________________.
(Example: I read the title, What Can Sarita Do? so I think the book is about the things Sarita and the elephant bird like to do.)
I see ____________, so I predict that __________________.
(Example: I see Sarita on the cover picture, so I predict that she will be a character in the book.)