Who is Sleeping?
Before you Start
Before Reading Activity
Read the read-aloud version of the book, Naptime, to build background knowledge of the story and setting. If possible, read the book in the students’ first language. This books is designed for a Reader’ Theater Format. Once students can read the text, they can take on the roles of the characters and narrators.
After Reading Activity
This books is designed for a Readers’ Theater Format. Once students can read the text, they can take on the roles of the characters and a narrator. Show students the lively video of how to do a Readers’ Theater with the book as presented by puppets Kim and Deepa. Read more about the video in Activity 4 of this lesson guide.
Skill Level: For students to read this book independently, they need to be able to:
- Make a speech-to print-match in text.
- Use the illustrations and a predictable pattern to predict what a word says.
- Use beginning sound information to confirm what a word says.
- Recognize high-frequency words: for, a, is, I , want, to, too, says, the, oh, no
- Pronounce the following beginning sounds: /k/, /m/, /n/, /d/, /b/, /s/
- Participate in a guided lesson with the teacher.