Where are the Polar Bears?
Before you Start
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can sound out words I don’t know.
- I can connect the words with the pictures and what I know to make inferences.
- I can retell parts of a story.
- Letter cards for word chain (vowels: a, i, o, u; consonants: p, l, f, m, s, t, sh, r) or wipe-off board and marker. Print the vowel letters in a different color from the consonants.
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white or color copies of the book for each student.
- Individual word cards with the sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).
Read the read-aloud version, Animals of the Arctic, to students before they read this book to introduce them to the character Datiz and the sea or ocean as a setting for a story.