Sarita Finds a Big Egg
Before you Start
Before Reading Activity
Before beginning the lesson for this book, the read aloud, to students, the book, The Elephant Bird, in English or in their home language. The Stage 2 book, Sarita Finds a Big Egg, is based on characters in the read aloud version.
About lessons in Stage 2/Full alphabetic phase of word learning:
The lesson is divided into activities in the order they should occur. However, the lesson can take three to five days to complete. The book will be read three or more times by students. Stage 2 lesson plans are different than Stage 0 lessons because students are asked to read the book on their own after they practice all the Word Work Activities with the teacher. Students in Stage 2 will use their letter-sound knowledge to sound out words they don’t know. There are opportunities for students to read consonant blends, and the long vowel sound /ē/, spelled ee.
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can use strategies to sound out words I don’t know.
- I can use the pictures after I read the words to help me understand what happens in the story.
- I can retell parts of a story.
Materials: Print the vowel letters in red or a different color from the consonants.
- Letter cards for Chain A (c,r,a,ck, o, s, t, m) and Chain B (m, u, ch, n, p, f, i, t, l, a, s) or wipe-off board and marker.
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for the students.
- Sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).
- High-Frequency Words printed on cards or in sentence frames: and, the, a, baby, finds, by, of, they, with