Oh, Muddy Mud!
Before you Start
Before Reading Activity
Read the read-aloud version of the book, Hippo’s Muddy Mud, to build background knowledge of the story and setting. If possible, read the book in the students’ first language.
Skill Level: For students to read this book independently, they need to be able to:
- Make a speech-to print-match in text.
- Use the illustrations and a predictable pattern to predict what a word says.
- Use beginning sound information to confirm what a word says.
- Recognize high-frequency words: the, is, so, into, on, no, my
- Participate in a guided lesson with the teacher.