Before you Start
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can use strategies to sound out words I don’t know.
- I can predict what will happen in the story.
- I can read to understand parts of the story.
- I can use the pictures after I read the words to help me understand what happens in the story.
- I can retell parts of a story.
Materials: Print the vowel letters in red or a different color from the consonants.
- Letter cards ( b, u, g, m, d, a, p, t, o, p, h, , t, r, u, n, s) or wipe-off board and marker
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for the students.
- Sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).
- High-frequency words printed on cards or in sentence frames: oh, the, is, so, into, no, my