Page 1 – 2
Direct students’ attention to the illustration on the book cover. Read the title of the book to students, What Does Datiz See in the Sea? Lead students to infer what the book will be about using the photograph and the book title. Use the questions and think-aloud models below to help students make a prediction with evidence from the title and illustration. Connect the title of the book to the photograph on the cover.
Make Predictions About the Story
Use the questions to explore the book title and the photograph. Suggested answers are in the parentheses. If students give short answers, model a complete sentence.
- What do you see? (a boy with a snorkel, swimming in the ocean/sea)
- What do you think is the topic of this book? (sea or sea creatures)
- Who is the character on the picture? (Datiz)
- What word in the title tells what the book is about? (sea)
Model Think Aloud to Describe the Cover Illustrations
The following bullet points are statements for the teacher to model metacognitive thinking (thinking about what you are reading, using evidence to make predictions). The teacher can model using the academic language sentence frames that follow.
- I see a photograph, which makes me think this book tells us information.
- The title says, What does Datiz See in the Sea? so I think the book will be about things in the ocean or sea.
- I notice the title has the words see and sea. (Point to each word and have students name the letters.) The different letters or spelling tells us the words mean different things. S-e-e means to look at something with your eyes. S-e-a means the ocean.
- I wonder what Datiz will see in the ocean? Let’s read and find out.
Model Inferences That Can be Made From Pictures and Words
- I can infer that Datiz will look at sea creatures that live in the ocean because I read the word sea that means the same thing as ocean in the title.
Academic Language Sentence Frames
Use the academic language sentence frames for students to practice making inferences about the cover. Post the sentence frame on the board for students to see.
Oral Language Level 1:
Have students point to parts of the illustration and make connections between the illustration and the words in the title (point to Datiz, point to the word sea. Point to a sea creature.)
Oral Language Level 2:
I see _______________, SO, I think ________________.
I predict that __________________.
I think this book will be about ____________because ______________.
I predict this book will be about _________ because ______________.
Example: I think the book will be about sea creatures because Datiz is swimming in the sea.
Show the language cue word because to help students use this word to give a reason for their prediction.
Read page 2 to students to help them understand what they will read about in the book.