Kim Looks for Frogs
Before you Start
Before-Reading Activities to Build Background Knowledge
Read the Stage 3 version, Why Do Frogs Come in All Colors?, to students before they read this book to introduce them to the character Kim and the wetlands as a setting for a story.
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can sound out words I don’t know.
- I can use the pictures after I read the words to confirm what I read.
- I can talk about what I read.
- Letter cards (vowels: e, i, o, u, consonants: g, t, w, s, h, p, b, l) or wipe-off board and marker (Print the vowel letters in a different color from the consonants.)
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for the students.