Datiz and the Whale Shark
Before you Start
Before-Reading Activities to Build Background Knowledge
- Read the read-aloud version, Datiz and Whale Shark, to students before they read this book to introduce them to the character Datiz and the sea or ocean as a setting for a story.
- Have students read the stage 0 book, What Does Datiz See in the Sea?
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can sound out words I don’t know.
- I can connect the words with the pictures and what I know to make inferences.
- I can retell parts of a story.
- Letter cards (s, w, i, sh, f, t, s, l, p, a) or wipe-off board and marker. Print the vowel letters in a different color from the consonants.
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for each student.
- Individual strips of paper with the sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).