Before you Start
Before Reading Activity
Ask students questions about animals. Examples:
- Have you ever been to the zoo? What animals did you see?
- What is your favorite animal?
- Do you have animals at home? What kinds?
- What animal names do you know in English?
Read the read-aloud version, Looking for the Cat in the Ghat, to introduce students to the characters, setting, and story.
Skill Level: For students to read this book independently they need to be able to:
- Have speech-to print-match.
- Use beginning sound along with picture clues to read words.
- Pronounce the following letter sounds: /k/, /t/, /d/, /m/ for the letters: c, t, d, and m.
- Read high-frequency words: the, white, see, look, can, we, for, black, and, you, too