Sarita and the Big Baby Bird
Before you Start
Before beginning the lesson for this book, consider having students listen to the read aloud book, The Elephant Bird, in English or their home language, if it is available on the website. The Stage 1 book, Sarita and the Baby Bird, is based on the read aloud version.
About lessons in Stage 1/Partial alphabetic phase of word learning:
The lesson is divided into activities in the order they should occur. However, the lesson can take three to five days to complete. The book will be read three or more times by students. Stage 1 lesson plans are different than Stage 0 lessons because students are asked to read the book on their own after they practice all the word work activities with the teacher. Students in Stage 1 will use their letter-sound knowledge to sound out words they don’t know.
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can use strategies to sound out words I don’t know.
- I can predict what will happen in the story.
- I can read to understand parts of the story.
- I can use the pictures after I read the words to help me understand what happens in the story.
- I can retell parts of a story.
Materials: Print the vowel letters in red or a different color from the consonants.
- Letter cards (t, a, n, p, i, h, o, i, y, m, t, r, u) or wipe-off board and marker.
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for the students.
- Sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because).
- High-frequency words printed on cards or in sentence frames: and, the, big, baby, sees, a, for.