Polar Bears in the Arctic
Before you Start
Read the read-aloud version, Animals of the Arctic, to students before they read this book to introduce them to the characters and the setting of the Arctic.
Purpose: Post and read these statements with students to set a purpose for reading.
- I can sound out words I don’t know.
- I can use the words and pictures to help me understand what I read.
- I can retell what I learned from the book.
Materials: Print the vowel letters in red or a different color from the consonants.
- Letter cards (i, a, e, d, p, g, n, l, t, w) or wipe-off board and marker
- Color copy of the book on the computer screen.
- Individual black and white copies of the book for the students.
- Sequence words (first, next, then, after that, finally) and connecting words (but, so, because) printed on cards.
- High-frequency words printed on cards or in sentence frames: the, gets, his, about, in, on